November 6, 2012

Pumpkin This; Pumpkin That

Before you read any further...if you haven't voted today, get out from behind this screen and take your happy butt to the polls!! This election is HUGE and voting is your civil duty!!!
***
Ok now that we've gotten that out of the way, I bring you a couple of healthy pumpkINSPIRED recipes for your collection...

First and foremost, let me preface this post by saying a few things:

A) This is not becoming a food blog. (I'm the last person you'd ever consider a "baker".) I just so happen to volunteer myself to make these recipes last week and knew instantly these would pass as "blogworthy" material.

B) Beau made the cheesecake.
(I would have been in the dog house had I not given him 100% credit)

C) I did not know there was a special "pan" for baking cheesecakes (now I do!)

and

D) Both of these recipes will require every freaking spice in your cabinet...
but DONTCHU worry...they're SO worth it.
{See. Every spice in the book and then some...}

Yeast-Free/Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread

I still cannot get over how good this stuff is. I've made it 3 times in the past week and a half, if that tells you anything. No joke...there's no butter or sugar involved, yet you would NEVER know it's healthy. I've eaten it for breakfast a few times, a snack or even a dessert to kick my sweet tooth.



Ingredients:
  • 1 C egg whites (pssst...egg whites from 7 eggs. I did the work for you here.)
  • 1 C unsweetened applesauce 
  • 1 1/2 C Sweet-N-Natural (natural sweetener that has a one-to-one ratio with real sugar)
  • 2 C canned pumpkin 
  • 2 C oat flour
  • 1 T baking powder 
  • 1 t baking soda 
  • 1/2 t salt 
  • 2 t cinnamon 
  • 1/2 t ginger 
  • 1/4 t nutmeg 
  • 1/4 t cloves  
  • Dash of pumpkin pie spice
Directions: Preheat oven to 375. Lightly coat a 12 x 9 inch pan with coconut or olive oil. In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, applesauce, Sweet-N-Natural, and pumpkin. In a separate bowl, sift or stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Gently fold dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture; do not over mix/do not use hand mixer! Spread evenly in pan. Bake until firm to touch and lightly browned, about 30-35 minutes. Cool, slice into 24 bars and try not to eat the entire pan in one sitting.

*Note: Because you "fold" the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients rather than mixing, the cake is very very  moist. Almost gooey so just know it's supposed to be that way!

Baking rule #683: The gooier, the better.
Baking rule #684: Eat the entire pan before you realize you forgot to take a picture.

****

Gluten-Free Pecan Crusted Pumpkin Cheesecake

So, like I said, last week I volunteered myself to make these recipes for a company event. While I literally DIED over how deliciously healthy the pumpkin bread was, I was one pissed of mother when I remembered I just so happened to choose to make the cheesecake even though I can't have dairy. (That's a whole 'nother story for a whole 'nother day.) 

Anywho-Beau was a trooper.
He totally pulled out his Betty Crocker skills and went to work. 

Ingredients:
  • Butter or coconut oil (for greasing pan) 
  • 1 C pecans, coarsely chopped 
  • 2 (8oz) packages 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened 
  • ¾ C Sweet-n-Natural 
  • 2 t vanilla extract 
  • 1 ½ C pure canned pumpkin 
  • ½ C FAGE 2% yogurt
  • 4 eggs 
  • 1 ½ t cinnamon 
  • 1 t ginger 
  • ½ t nutmeg 
  • ¼ t cloves 
  • ¼ t salt  

Directions: Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat the bottom and sides of 9 ½ inch spring form cheesecake pan with butter or coconut oil. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with chopped pecans, distribute evenly. Beat Sweet-n-Natural, vanilla extract, and cream cheese in a mixing bowl with electric mixer until fluffy. Add pumpkin and yogurt, mixing thoroughly on medium speed. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Mix in spices and salt. Pour batter over the nuts in the pan and bake for 1 hour and 20-30 minutes (test center: knife placed in center should come out clean).


While I had to sit out this round, word on tha street
has it the pumpkin cheesecake is too legit to quit.

Oh how I would KILL to have a slice of that!
***
Shameless plug but if any of you are in the market for more healthy recipes, I write for my company blog 3+ times per week, one post per week being a healthy recipe idea! Find me here.

And now that my mouth is watering, I'm going to shove a piece of said pumpkin bread into my piehole.

18 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! See eating healthy can still be delicious ;) Definitely going to have to try this because I love me some cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Everyone at my office said it was delish!! I SO wish I could have had a piece!!

      Delete
  2. going to vote after work today HOLLA!! seriously hoping for a GOP win and something NEW in office!! GAH

    ok these looks delicious. and your rule about the gooier the better is so true. OOEY GOOEY YUM YUM!!

    i shall call you stephy crocker

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You BEST get your bum to the polls honey child!! ;)

      I dunno about all this Stephy Crocker stuff...there's not much baking ever going on in my house although I'm sure Beau would prefer it the other way around!! XOXO

      Delete
  3. thank you so much for posting this! My husband is gluten intolerant (he has Celiac disease)and I definitely plan on making this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 things!

    1. Loving the new layout!!!!
    2. Way to go to both of y'all, these looks amazing!!!! I'm starving now and I'm going to eat my lunch now, 10:30...oh well!
    3. Did you those pecans and if so do you want more?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you!! And no I bought pecans...I ate all of yours in like 2 days lol. I was eating them in the parking lot on the way out of the game haha!! By ALL means...if you need to get rid of anymore, I'm HAPPY to take em off your hands!!

      See you at the game on Saturday?!

      Delete
  5. Ugh these look amazinggg!! I am especially loving that they are both Gluten Free!! And is there really a special pan for cheescake?? Mind blown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yes! There is!! See in the pic how it has that snap thing?! It's so you can pull the side of the pan up and the bottom comes out and you don't have to mess up the sides when you're trying to serve it. Genius, right?! Who woulda thunk??!!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, both of those recipes sound DELISH! I cannot wait to try them! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well look at you and Beau! I gotta try these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A different pan or tin for cheesecake... really?! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you use Stevia instead of the sweet n natural? I'd like to make this tomorrow but don't have the sweet n natural to use.... Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got another question and it might be a stupid one. :) Can I eat this the first two weeks of the diet since it has applesauce in it? I know you can't have fruit those first two weeks but not sure if the applesauce comes into play here.... Oh I'm talking about the pumpkin bread. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same question, is it ok to eat the pumpkin bread the first 2 weeks? I'm finishing week 1 and, as a chocoholic, I am dyyyying for something sweet. :) Also, where can I buy the sweet & natural? Do they sell it at health food stores? Or could you recommend a substitute? Thanks girlie!

      Delete
    2. Hi there! Yes-you can have pumpkin the first two weeks of the diet! (YAY!)

      Also-my company sells the Sweet-n-Natural so you can order it online and have it shipped to you!

      http://www.physicianspreference.com/Sweet-n-Natural-Erythritol-Sweetener-_p_469.html

      Delete
  11. Hey! Love reading your blog. It's so inspirational! Is it possible to use honey or maple syrup rather than the Sweet-n-Natural?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! I read each and every comment left on my blog. If you have a specific question, feel free to email me at snhoward16@gmail.com.

Also, please make sure your email address is set up with your profile so that I am able to respond to you. xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...